What is Green Building? Green Building means the use of Green Building Methods and Products in a building project. The main principles of Green Building are:
- Build for the Long Term - Build for the Health & Safety of Families - Build for the Planet
Will it Cost me More to Build Green? Green Methods and materials range in price - some of them cost no more or even less than conventional options.
Some recommended measures may cost more initially, but this additional cost needs to be evaluated in the context of the longer-term benefits provided.
We allow you the flexibility to choose green options where possible and will help you weigh the costs and benefits for your specific project early on so that you can decide what is best for your dream and your budget.
What are Green Building Methods? Green Building Methods are principles, technologies and products that:
- Produce More Durable Homes Requiring Less Less Maintenance - Use Energy Wisely - Improve Indoor Air Quality - Conserve Natural Resources
What are the Benefits of Green Building to me, the Homeowner? Green Methods produce higher quality homes and financial savings. Even the smallest effort can make a big difference. The general benefits are:
- Less Maintenance & Higher Durability: Green building uses premium materials that are more durable and building practices that often exceed building code requirements.
- Higher Resale Value: Green Building Methods enhance a home's performance and reduce maintenance and replacement costs, thereby raising its overall value.
- Increased Comfort: Green homes are inherently more comfortable thanks to healthier products, smart design and tight construction.
- Healthier Living: Green building encourages use of products and materials that reduce or eliminate sources of indoor pollution.
- Financial Savings: Green homes are more energy efficient and can result in lower utility bills.
- Knowing You're Being Good to the Environment: Green building promotes sustainable communities, a diverse economy and reduces our impact on the environment.
What Makes a Product Green? There is no easy answer to this question as Green Building is about the overall environmental impact of building for a specific site. The general criteria are products that:
- Conserve Natural Resources - Are Made with Salvaged, Recycled or Waste Materials - Avoid Toxic or Other Emissions - Reduce Environmental Impacts During Construction, Demolition or Renovation - Save Energy or Water - Contribute to a Safe, Healthy Indoor Environment
The above listed criteria for designating products as green has been provided by BuildingGreen, as published in GreenSpec - a national directory of green products.
How Does Green Building Improve my Home's Health? According to EPA reports, the air in new homes can be up to ten times more polluted than outside air. Homes built or remodeled using Green Building Methods:
- Use Healthier Paints, Adhesives and Materials - Adhere to Stricter Gas Emissiom Requirements - Adhere to Stricter Ventilation Requirements
With most of us spending more than 80% of our time indoors, Green Building is the healthy, common sense choice for a better life.
How Does Green Building Help the Environment? According to the U.S. Department of Energy's Center for Sustainable Development, buildings consume 40% of the world's total energy, 25% of its wood harvest and 16% of its water.
Compared to traditional construction, a home built utilizing Green Methods takes some of this pressure off the environment.
Does Green Building Really Matter? Green Building enhances the well-being of occupants and minimizes negative impacts on the community and the environment. Green Buildings:
- Provide a healthier and more comfortable environment - Bring higher resale value - Incorporate energy and water efficient technologies that save money - Reduce environmental impact - Improve indoor air quality - Are easier to maintain & built to last
By promoting healthier options, financial savings, and social responsibility, utilizing Green Building Methods is the construction standard for the future, and the smart solution for today.
Copyright 2007-2011 Green Method Construction™, CGBP